RIP Jody Payne: January 11, 1936 – August 10, 2013

willienelson —  August 10, 2013 — 63 Comments

With a heavy heart Willie Nelson and Family are sad to report that Jody Payne passed away this morning.

He is survived by his wife, Vicki, sons Waylon and Austin, and the many family and friends. We understand that he will not have a public funeral and a possible memorial will be held later this year.

Read the article from Billboard.com

Enjoy some of the great videos below of Jody.

Share on FacebookShare on TumblrShare on Twitter

willienelson

63 responses to RIP Jody Payne: January 11, 1936 – August 10, 2013

1. Hi, all there
    sadly greetings to the sad happening – quite amazing it happens same day maybe same time my mother-in-law in Thailand died.
    My feelings are shared to bothe and I only can say: Keep strong in their minds when they’re gone.
    Greetings
    Wolfgang
    from Germany

2. RIP Jody..We love you man!! Peace be with you all! “My god hold you in his hands”

3. Phillip Wiseman August 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM

God Bless Jody Payne & May He Rest In Peace. I was fortunate to have met & talk w/ Jody many times. A soft spoken man with immense talent & heart to go along with it. I will miss him.

4. Oh so very sorry. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

:( tooo many friends passing…

5. Thank you for the pictures.

6. He Rode Away On A Horse They Call Music R.I.P.

7. Just found out the sad news, heard from Mickey ( was discussing while in my cab). Saw him many times over the years. Good musician, good person, good family man. Rest in peace.

8. Edson sant anna August 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

We here in Brazil, are very sad and we send our memory’s for all his family!!!

9. Grief is the price we pay for love. They are not gone who live in the hearts they left behind

10. I was lucky enough to see Jody play with Willie and Family a few times. Good music. Good memories. Thank you, Jody.

11. RIP Jody Payne! Thanks for all you have done for many people! You will be missed a lot! My prayers are with you!!!!!! You are an Angel now and looking at all of us from above! We love you!!!

12. RIP Jody Payne. Thanks for your gift of music and for the memories alongside Willie through the years. Prayers go out to Jody’s Family and to Willie’s entire “family”. Another good soul lost.

13. What a man. Jody will be so missed; we’ve lost a great one. God bless the Willie Nelson Family.

14. Thank you for the wonderful music that will live forever. R.I.P. And thank you for posting the videos. Wonderful tribute.

15. I’ve seen Jody Payne along with Willie and the Gang many times at the Oakdale Summer Theatre in Wallingford, Ct. Always thought he was super in what he did. Enjoyed his talent. He will be missed, that’s for sure. Rest in Peace Jody, may God be with you and with your family.

16. This is so sad. I hope that the whole band will meet again one day in heaven.

17. I’m so sad I do not know what to write. I will keep the family in my prayers. Thank You for posting the videos.

18. So so sorry! He was great! Lots of losses,

19. I first saw Jody at Ebbets Field in Denver in 1975 during the Red-Headed Stranger tour. It was easy to see that Jody, Paul, Mickey, Bobbie and Willie were a “family” and they were playing for the love of it. I’ve admired him and the rest of the gang ever since. I know his presence will be missed, but felt as long as any of you are still on the planet. And he will live in the love and admiration of all who knew of him and his music…..RIP Jody!

20. Tears fall knowing that this generation will never be again those who have walked that line and brought a world music from the depths of the souls of those we knew to be music men. Goodbye Jody and those who loved him rest knowing he is living on in his Heavenly home where one day you all will be reunited again. /*

21. MaryJo Pawlowski August 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I have such fond memories of Jody from years ago, I was tournament director for the Darrrell & Willie Golf tournament here in Houston/Woodlands for 20 years, when the band came with Willie to the tournament the “boys” always had a great time and Jody was always the sweet mellow one, had some great conversations, and fun stories to tell.
    He will be sadly missed, our prayers are with all of you

Maryjo

22. Rest in peace Jody Loved to hear you sing

23. God Bless You Jody! Thank you personally for bringing forth so much Joy through your
    soulful beautiful spirit and the Music you played. I’ll never forget you.

24. God be with Jody and his family, being from Ky. I was fortunate enough to talk to Jody at many concerts about the bluegrass state and places we both knew about. He always had a smile and was very kind to the fans.

25. What a great loss Willie, for you & his family. Ya’ll played together many years. I pray The Lord keep all of you, wrapped in his arms. May you find comfort, in each other during this time. Prayers extended to all.

26. He slips away as many before him…starting a new band in the sky. Keep the music playing…

27. so sorry for your loss. i have been to so many of your concerts and i don’t know what to say. Rest in Peace Jody. and you all take good care of yourselves and each other until you meet each other in another life in another time. bless you all

28. Hate to lose a member of The Family ……….. thanks for all the years of great music

29. RIP ~ you will alwaysbe loved ….

30. RIP ~ you will always be loved …..

31. R.I.P. will be missed and never forgotten. God bless, from Florence Alabama.

32. May God embrace him, his family, and Willie and the band, as they all struggle with this tremendous loss.

33. SO sad to hear the news. I’ve seen you all a lot over the years. He will be missed. God Bless

34. Jody Payne, God Bless his Family and Friends. He will be missed.

35. R.I.P. Jody U will be missed; Prayers go out to his family & friends;Thank U for sharing the pics;

36. Forever in our hearts.

37. A Great artist & singer ! Part of the Willie Nelson Family what seems like forever . A great Loss . RIP ! Prayers are with The Willie family & his home
    Family . May he be remembered as one of the Greatest guitarest & singer !

38. I have a DVD with him and Willie doing the Workin man blues. Priceless.

39. Hi all
    Greetings to the sad happening. Keep strong in their minds the recorder for Jody.
    Greetings
    Splaxky, Argentina

40. You’re now singing to the angels, Jody. Godspeed.

41. So sorry hear of Jody’s passing. May he rest in peace.

42. It is the saddest of moments when your long time friends pass on. I feel you heavy heart Willie, as another Family members does their last encore. A song in there I think, if you want to use it.

Tony

43. So sad for the band, his family, and of course, Willie. May he rest in peace!!

44. So sorry to hear about your friend Jody, My heart felt sorrow goes out to Jody’s family, to you Willie and all Jody’s friends. God Bless you’ll,
    Jay

45. So long old friend we will miss yoi

46. So long old friend we will miss you

47. So saddened to hear this. RIP Jody. You were a great entertainer who was honored to play with the greatest entertainer of all times. You will be sorely missed.

48. ~~~ RIP Jody Payne ~~ Thank you for your Music ~~ my Condolences to his Family and Friends on their Loss of Jody ~~

49. Lucky, so lucky to have gotten to play and work together with Jody… He had a peace and calm knowledge that fed my soul… Peace

50. A great man and a great musician. As its been said, thanks for the memories. Rest in Peace.

51. antonio costa reis August 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM

my prayers to his family and all his friends in the band.

antonio
    from brazil

52. We’re sad to hear of his passing. He was a very kind man and a great musician. We know we’ll see him in heaven.

53. Praying for the family

54. Janusz Bialoszewski August 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Jest mi bardzo smutno. Wielka szkoda dobrych ludzi.

55. Broken hearted for your respective families.May God stay oh so near to you all during this sad time.

56. So very saddened to learn of your passing, have seen you so many, many times w/Willie & Family. Heart goes out to your family & to Willie. RIP, Dear Jody.

57. Such a kind heart , a sweet & talented man. So many fond memories of the 70′s Austin days… here’s to the good times. I’ll see you one day when we meet on that beautiful shore!

58. Manny Gutierrez Sr. September 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Had been a long busy summer Just sat down today to see my email and read the news of the loss of your family member Jody Patne . I am so sorry , My heart felt condolences to his wife and family and to Willie Nelson and his Family .His music will forever play in our hearts and memories and beyond the Vast Sea of Clouds …. Manny Baker City ,Or

59. The memorial at The Frog Pond was very nice.RIP Jody!

60. During my days with the family, Jody was always one of the nicest people in the organization. Like Willie, with Jody, you got what you saw. He was a.decent good guy. I will miss him.

61. Manny Gutierrez sr. January 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Jody will always be in our hearts along with Willie & the rest of the Family ,He will be forever missed ,What a great guy he was god bless & Rest in Peace Jody….Enjoy your Journey to Heaven. Manny & Valerie…Baker City, Or.