The Passing Of Our Friend Ray Price

admin —  December 17, 2013 — 46 Comments

We are sad beyond words at the passing of our good friend, the legendary Ray Price. Our prayers are for Janie and his family as they cope with their incredible loss. But our loss
is Heaven’s gain, because a band of angels just got one of the best voices ever created.

There will never be another Ray Price.
We love you, Ray.

Ray W Willie 2003

RayWillieSM,jpg

45096_377390499021109_143059013_n

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 10.30.55 AM

cherokee

Share on FacebookShare on TumblrShare on Twitter

46 responses to The Passing Of Our Friend Ray Price

1. Kathy Toddie Knudtson December 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Ray will be missed. What a great person he was. His voice was one of a kind and only got better with age…..Willie, so glad you sang on the song, “Song’s of the Cherokee Cowboy” Great tribute to Ray. Thank You…

2. Ray, thanks “For The Good Times” RIP my friend.

3. What a voice! He will be sorely missed by many! God rest his soul & God bless yours!

4. He will be missed and no one can replace him.

5. Mr. Ray Price will be missed so much in my life. Thank you Willie for sharing these wonderful pictures. <3

6. We would like to attend Ray’s funeral if at all possible! Thanks 512 6506019. Sincerely Georgia And Joseph Kiser.

7. Ray you will be missed sorely another legend gets his wings R.I.P.

8. I’m proud that I got to know the legendary Ray Price. Super, genuine man with a fantasic voice. We played nothing but Price’s music this morning on KHBR 1560 AM in Hillsboro, Texas.

9. I’m so honored to have been a Cherokee cowboy for the last 6 years. Ray loved you and I loved the way you played Django stuff! Thanks again for having us out on so many great tours. Changed my life, god bless!

10. Many times the word legend is used to describe a person, and in the case of Ray Price, legend is truly the right word. One of the best voices ever in the history of entertainment. He will be missed by those who knew him, and by the world at large. BTW, the bottom photo looks as if it might have been taken at the old Pamper Music offices out on Two Mile Pike in Goodlettsville. Some awesome talent in that picture.

11. Touring with you brought such joy to Ray, and all his Cherokee Cowboys. He always had an extra spark when singing on one of your shows! We thank you always for lifting up the Chief and giving us such a wonderful audience to share him with. Performing with the both of you will stand at the pinnacle of my small career.

12. I began seeing Ray Price as well as you Willie in the mid-sixties at the old Panther Hall in Fort Worth. I have always loved his music and as all says there will never be another voice like his and the angels are loving it.

13. Sandra Nicholson December 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Thank you for your tribute to another legend we have lost. His passing has created a huge void in the country music community and the world.
    My many thanks to Kris Kristofferson for writing the great songs that introduced me to Ray Price. God blessed him with a magnificent voice and I am thankful he shared it with us. He will never be forgotten!
    One of the many clips on Youtube I like to watch is his appearance on Marty Robbins’ “Spotlight Show.” Marty, as he sometimes did, was making funny faces at Ray, I loved the smile on Ray’s face as he tried to maintain his composure. The Heavenly Choir now has those two great voices singing with them.
    My prayers are with Ray’s family and friends as they struggle to cope with their loss.

14. rip ray price

15. Willie Ray was so bless to have friend s like you. He was a legend for sure. I was glad to have been his friend. Never did I hear Ray talk bad about anyone. He love all his fans very much. Good Lord just gain a very special guy for sure. Let the good times roll.

16. I so loved these pictures. Ray will be missed by so many people but his legend will live on. RIP Ray Price.

17. One of the greatest voices ever. A true class act that will surely be missed. Rest in peace Ray.

18. Pat and Jeff Barry December 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Jeff and I are so saddened by Ray’s passing . He brought so much enjoyment to our life and musical listening. We travelled many miles to see him over the years. When we talked with him he was always gracious and willing to spend time with us. NO ONE will ever replace him. He set the stage for so many others. We learned to love him in the early 50′s and that love affair never stopped. His music was so easy to dance and listen to repeatedly.

19. Ray and Willie’s voices blended so well together. Most of all I loved seeing them laugh together.

The choir of angels now have a great addition.

Ray you will never be forgotten!

20. every one will miss this great person ray price .he was a great singer .we are all praying for his wife and family ..heaven needed music up there .. for moms and dads and every one there in heaven the need ed another angel .. love ya and we will all miss ya

21. rip ray price ,I saw you first time at stardust in Odessa,tx and last in san angelo,tx. you have al ways been the best voice in country music.god speed I know my parents are dancing to city lights
    with you tonight. we will miss you! prayers for your family. always for the good times.randy & hilda

22. Brenda Fox Perez December 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM

My prayers are with Ray’s family & friends. I am so glad that I got to see him in 2011 at Willie’s 4th of July Picnic in Fort Worth, TX at Billy Bob’s Texas. He will be greatly missed RIP!

23. we have lost number 2 after hank Williams ray is right there we will miss u ray heavens gain r lost keep those shoes walking back to us we r going be lost. happy trails pardner

24. It was through my son, Tyler Jackson, who was Ray’s bass player the past 7 years, that I was truly introduced to Ray Price and the Cherokee Cowboys. Any time they played anywhere close by, weather permitting, I would check with Tyler to see if he could get comp tickets for me–and almost always, he did–after checking with Ferdie.;) I got to see Ray (and Tyler) play in Austin at “The Backyard”with Willie when they were doing their “Last of the Breed Tour”–incredible live performance! Also saw the two bands perform on a hot summer evening in Houston at the Sam Houston Race Park. I remember they were having problems with the sound system and Ray finally decided if he couldn’t get the sound right, it wasn’t worth it and cut his show short. I even drove all the way from Houston to the Poteet Strawberry Festival to see Ray & band play, which was well worth the drive. That’s one thing I appreciated about Ray–he would perform at the Grand Ole Opry, Radio City Music Hall, accept a Grammy in LA, or at the Poteet Strawberry Festival (Poteet, TX); but regardless of the venue, you were guaranteed the same stellar performance from one of the world’s classiest country artists ever. I am forever grateful for the happy memories I have of hearing Ray sing, backed by his excellent musicians. I’m especially grateful for the opportunity my son, Tyler, had to tour with Ray and to get to know him as a professional true musician, mentor and storyteller that he was. It doesn’t get much better than that! (I’m still waiting to meet Willie!). :)

25. I feel truly blessed to have been at the 1st annual New Year’s Eve Party at the new ACL and saw Ray walk on stage to open for Willie Nelson and family. He was and always will be truly amazing. If you closed your eyes, you thought you were listening to Ray 30 years ago. That night many young people who did not know his music lined up to buy his CDs/

Ray will be missed and I express my sorrow to his family, fans and his good friend Willie Nelson. Heaven was in search of an angel and they truly now have another that will lead the choirs in Heaven.

26. In the early sixties I had the good fortune to be part of Country music history as a Cherokee Cowboy. And keep the beat behind a music legend. Ray ranks with the top legends Country or Pop. He could sing any song and make it his own. Thanks to media in all forms he will be with us far beyond our own years. Thanks Chief, you’ve made all our lives better with your beautiful talent. And I’ll always remember the hours rolling down the road cought up with great musicians and making memories. Life is good….. and so are the memories.

27. COUNTRY MUSIC HAS NOW LOST IT’S VOICE

28. My prayers are with his family. I saw Ray Price with Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard. At Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas. Thank you for sharing your photos with us. God bless.

29. Barbara Van Leer Beaufort, Missouri 63013 December 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Ive been a fan of Mr Price since the 60′s I lived in Houston, Texas back then I saw him many times at Dance Town USA . There were many other places I saw him. There will never be another Ray Price .Thanks Willies Road House for playing Ray Price during the years I can always count on hearing him on your radio show. You play all the old songs you never hear on the stations around here Thanks again

30. I consider myself lucky. Both George Jones and Ray came through my area {central Florida} two years ago, and I went and saw them both. George did the Friday show, Ray was on Saturday. George must have not been feeling to good,as his voice was way off. Ray sounded as smooth as silk, like always. I had never seen either of them live before, but through the years, had bough their records. I usually say to myself; “I’ll see them the next time they pass through”, and stay home instead. I am so glad I went. Now, they are both gone in the same year. If one of the few remaining greats from the golden era of country music pass near your town, take my advice: DON’T WAIT, GO SEE THEM. Ray was so nice, he was over at a table, signing autographs, taking pictures with folks, and briefly talking to people. I would have liked to have drank a beer with him and just talked about things. Country music fans lost a giant, and like it says in George’s song;”Who’s gonna fill their shoes?” I’ll tell you; NOBODY.

31. Truly a great loss for music. I was always a fan of Ray Price. RIP

32. Lunatic limbs my all time favorite YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED FOREVER IN OUR HEARTS ANDS PRAYERS

33. Willie, thanks for sharing the pictures and your beautiful tribute to Ray Price. I cannot pick a favorite song of his or yours. I love them all. Paper Roses is interesting as I remember the man selling those items. We loved seeing you again last night in Phoenix.
    I would like to send my sympathy and respect to the family in their time of sorrow. We have all lost a wonderful person with a great voice. He is singing with the Lord now. RIP.

34. Thank you Ray Price for your music, their is no country music no more, you Merle and Willie and all the others can never be replaced, country music isnt country music anymore. We will miss you God Bless

35. WILLIE AND FAMILY FAN December 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Thanks for the great shows music and memories Ray. America definatly lost another singing/music icon. Gonna miss ya!

36. Dearest Willie,

As I look at the photos, I know you must have loved this friend of yours. I’m sorry for your loss.
    I also want to point out the positive; you both did what you loved to do.
    You, my friend are blessed.

My request to God would be that my life would be half as full as yours, and that I live just a portion of the joy you have felt.

RitaAnn~
    …who secretly wishes she could meet you and steal away some of that personal ‘song time’ that your friend Ray had with you. I’d also like to speak with you about alternative gas.

37. we have lost another lengend, his velevet voice in singing in heaven with the rest of the lendgends, we have a table of angels in the circile, the real country singers have all gone to soon
    we miss them and love each an every one of them,Ray was a true lendgend god take care of him
    he will suffer no more,rest in peace RAY.

38. So sad at the news of his passing. He had no equal and no one will ever fill his shoes
    God bless Mr Price you will never be forgotten

39. I’ve been listening to Ray Price for over 60 years, and Willie for about as long. Never got to see Ray in person until 10 years and glad I finally did! His voice only got better and he always put on a first class show. Thanks for the memories!

40. A great musican for german country fans also me ,and the best he helps Willie in his saddle !!! To the family can i only say ” Remember the good times ” and pray for him. R I P Ray

41. My prayers are with the family and friends of Mr. Ray Price. I was out of town when the tragedy occurred and happened to see that Willie Nelsons tour bus had an accident….I was devastated. Like the day I heard Johnny Cash died….yes Ray is a legend of that stature…Imagine the music being made by those two within the PEARLY GATES….

42. He was one of my favorites. City Lights was my favorite.

I had a question about where he played. A small town on the cost of Washing State. Called the Wigwam ??? I remember being 16 and met him.

Thank you.

43. Hey this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have
    to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get advice from someone with
    experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!